Thursday, October 8, 2009

10 of my lessons learned...Iraqi style

1. Always always always carry a flashlight with you to the porta-pottie in hours of darkness...always. There are always secrets that lurk in the shadows that are squishy and don't smell nice.

2. Don't sit in the middle of the seat of a porta-pottie when taking a dump. you laugh...but that poo drops straight in and that blue water jumps straight out sometimes causing a clothing dilemma.

3. During hours of sunlight do not, I say again, do NOT touch metal things without gloves. You will literally burn your hands off.

4. After a full dusty day of being outside with your hair in a bun, do NOT attempt to brush through your hair without washing it first. I believe 'rat nest' is enough explanation. One day I looked like I had dreadlocks. I almost kept them :)

5. If the Iraqi tells you "meet me there at 10," they do NOT mean be there by 10. They mean, I will start to think about getting off this chair at 10. Then I will put on my shoes, my jacket, have another glass of chai tea, converse a little longer, gather everyone up--and meet you...later. okay? haha

6. If you will be traveling the Iraqi countryside-take a car with awesome suspension. Not just good or decent or even great suspension...but awesome. You'll need it to prevent shaken baby syndrome that is prevalent among Iraqi adults who travel on Iraqi roads. And I'm sure I have a case of it from riding in military vehicles...that and brain injuries suffered from hitting my head off of the ceilings of the vehicles. hehe

7. Before traveling anywhere be it by truck, airplane, or helicopter ALWAYS go to the bathroom...even if you don't have to. Something psychologically happens when you step into that porta-pottie which will delay the urge. but if you don't, you will be doing the cross-legged dance because something ALWAYS comes up to delay travel. And that's a FACT.

8. If you step outside and everything has an orange hue to it, go back inside. Poo is in the air. It's much like a snow day :) Except orange instead of white...and poo instead of snow. haha

9. Don't use the lights unless you trust them. I have watched a light fixture pop, spout a small fire and smoke while mounted in a vinyl tent. I think my jaw hit the floor before I did anything about it. haha

10. 70 Degrees can feel cold. I didn't know that before. After a day of 120-130 degrees when it drops down to this at night, I get the shivers and the goosepimples...I may even wear sweats and a long sleeve shirt. I believe I am in for a shock when I get to the 'Braskee :D

2 comments:

Andrew Lierman said...

Oh there are so many more great lessons too I'm sure

Kris Heimes said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog. Blessings to you, Bethany!