Sunday, September 20, 2009

I woke up to a thunderstorm

In Iraq
Amazing.
It rained on me on my walk to the shower and I was actually cold. I think I got goosepimples. It thundered and lightning-ed last night all through the Husker game-which I stayed up for. It didn't get over until after 2am :) I thought of the thunder as God's way of saying, "GO BIG RED!" (I'm pretty sure God is a Husker fan. I don't see how he could NOT be.) There really hasn't even been a cloud in the sky for many many moons. The last time there were clouds was probably late February. It truly was one of the best things to see clouds after endless and continuous days of the unshielded bright desert sun. The only other weather we had other than sunny was dusty. Now it's been overcast all day. It's quite an amazing sight to see clouds when you haven't seen them for 6 months. I never knew that before. I find myself just staring at the clouds in amazement. wondering how I could ever take for granted how the sun barely peeks through the clouds and how the clouds billow and roll through the sky. wow. The smell of rain is still in the air. It is only 90 degrees today. It's beautiful. For a long time now the song that goes, "Let it rain, let it rain, open the floodgates of heaven," has been on my mind and God opened his floodgates last night and today for us. He had mercy on this dry and weary land. Praise the Lord oh my soul.

We had church today too. Our church now has a worship band :D :D There are three of us who play guitar...including myself and a drummer and a singer! I never thought I would or could ever play in front of people for real. But when I first got over here there was no one who played and people were aching for music. I couldn't say that I wasn't good enough to play when people were begging me to play for service. So I played...awkwardly and with lots of mistakes, but I played. Then, when these other guys showed up who played guitar I've not only gotten better at playing and singing, but I've also learned how to jam out with others AND a drummer. It has been an amazing experience and I've overcome my fear of playing my guitar in front of people. Well, we played for service this morning and I get to play again at the service tonight. Just when I thought I was alone here and the person I love had to leave to go back to the states and my heart ached with how much I missed everyone, God provided. I've been blown away more times than I can even count at how awesome our God is. Who knew God could open my eyes so much with just a simple thunderstorm.

2 comments:

Always Hope said...

wow.wow.wow. Loved what you wrote, Bethany! So encouraging! Especially the part about God being a Husker fan!!! I suspected this all along! (:D
Loving you ...and missing you!!!
ma

sexsi said...

I ran accross your blog by accident, trying to create my own. Ive been on your page for the last 2 days! Ive not been able to read anything else, and I wanted to know if I may keep in contact and read what you have to say? Thank you for your time.